Chicken and quinoa lettuce cups
What you need
- 500 grams of chicken mince or chicken breast finely diced
- 1 cup of raw quinoa
- 1 fresh chilli or chilli flakes
- 1 carrot – finely diced
- 3 sticks of celery – finely diced
- ¼ capsicum – finely diced
- any other vegies you want to throw in (brocolli, snowpeas etc)
- 375grams of water chestnuts – drained and finely diced
- 1/4 cup of tamari (can also use soy sauce or other Asian style sauces)
- Iceberg lettuce
How to cook
- Rinse the quinoa and cook using absorption method in a saucepan (1 cup of qunioa to 1 ¾ cups of water).
- Heat oil in another pan, add chicken mince, chillies, ginger and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add tamari / thick soy sauce / chilli sauce / oyster sauce / whatever you’ve got in your cupboard, bit by bit careful not to add too much!
- Add vegetables – carrots, celery, capsicum, water chestnuts.
- When the veggies and chicken are cooked through you’re done.
- Load up an iceberg lettuce cup with a few spoons of filling.
- Serve with a dash more soy sauce or fish sauce or chilli sauce or fresh lime.
- If you don’t have or like quinoa leave it out.
- If you’re vegetarian leave out the chicken.
- Stop at step 3 and serve the vegetables raw in the lettuce cups.
- Have without the lettuce cups.
Great for lunch the next day
Cook up extra and take for lunch the next day. To make it easier to eat on the run. Heat the filling up in the microwave and then break up the lettuce into small pieces and mix through – or omit the lettuce all together.