Worth it Bircher Museli for 1 in a cute jar!
We had our final fitness session yesterday morning and put on a bit of brekky afterwards for all our loyal runners. We’ve had a few requests for the recipe for our bircher muesli in a jar so here it is!
This is a really easy, yummy and of course healthy breakfast that you can whip up in a few minutes at night. It is really portable and easy to grab and go and eat at work. It’s also a great idea for brunches or breakfasts if you need to entertain a bigger group.
If you can get a little jar that is around 400 mls that would work really well. I like using old jars (like vegemites jars etc) or you can buy some for $2 from a variety store. Or you can just make it in a bowl.
It will keep in the fridge for a few days so make 2 or 3 at once (to get full use of the apple).
Ingredients to make 1 bircher muesli jar:
- 3 dessert/soup spoons of oats
- 6 almonds roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Pepitas
- 1 teaspoon of sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- a shake of cinammon
- 1/2 to 1/3 of an apple – grated (pop in a squeeze of lemon if you don’t want the apple to go brown)
- 2 spoons of frozen mixed berries (feel free to use fresh berries and add more if you like)
- 1/2 cup of water – may need a little more depending on your container. You want it to be just enough to cover your mixture.
How to prepare:
- Just throw it all in the jar and stir it up and leave to sit for at least of few hours – overnight is best.
As it soaks the oats and nuts and seeds will soak up all the liquid – improving the taste and digestibility! Win win.
- Serve with a big spoon of yoghurt or milk of your choice.
- If it isn’t sweet enough for you – feel free to add some honey or sweetener of your choice.
We served our with Jalna Biodynamic Yoghurt and fresh homemade Almond Milk.
- You can use apple juice or orange juice instead of water to soak and it will be sweeter.
- You can use almond milk or milk of your choice instead of water to soak and it will be creamier.
- You can make it in a bigger batch in a big bowl and take out what you need each day or share with all your family and house mates 🙂