Running sessions we love
There’s no hiding the fact that we love running here at Carpe Diem Wellbeing. There’s so many reasons to love it, especially the fact that you can do it anywhere, anytime and get an amazing full body and mind workout in a short amount of time. We can all pop on our runners and go for a jog but for an extra challenge try some of our favourite interval running sessions to up the anti and get more results in sessions that take under 30 minutes!
Before every session make sure you warm up:
- Go for a light jog – at least 4 to 5 minutes – to get your heart rate up and prep your body for action.
- Do some stretching – especially focusing on your legs, bottom and back.
- Do at least 4 run throughs over 80 meters. These are warm up runs that get your body ready to run fast. Do the first one a bit faster than a jog and build up the speed to 80% by the fourth run through.
- If anything is sore / feel tight during the run throughs – ensure you give it another stretch.
Session 1: Interval Sprints
- This can be done at an oval, on a stretch of footpath, at the beach or on a running track.
- Roughly mark out 80 meters. If there are no markers take 80 big steps and pop your drink bottle or top there to mark the spot.
- Your session is to sprint the 80 meters then turn around and and lightly jog back to recover. As soon as you get back to your start marker, go again – no resting!
- Try to do 8 to 10 sprints in a row. Then rest for 5 minutes.
- Repeat if you’re fit enough!
- If this is too hard – decrease the distance to 60 meters, or walk back as a recover instead of jogging.
Session 2: 8 minute runs x 2
- This can be done at an oval, on a stretch of footpath, at the beach or on a running track. You will need a stop watch / something to time yourself for this one.
- Your session is run as far as you can in 8 minutes. You might see how many laps around an oval you can do or how far from home you can get.
- At the end of the 8 minutes stop and rest for 5 minutes.
- At the end of the rest you need to repeat the 8 minute run trying to get as far as you got in the first 8 minutes!
Session 3: 1 km reps!
- This one is best done where you have a kilometer marker – like the Botanical Gardens or Princes Park. Alternatively if you roughly know how far 1 km is where you are running that will do too. You will need a stop watch / something to time yourself for this one.
- Your session is to do 4 – 5 x 1km reps as fast as you can with 4 minutes rest in between.
- Keep track of your times and try to improve them each time.
- If this is too hard – take a longer recovery in between reps or run a little slower for each rep.
Remember for these sessions to be effective you need to PUSH it! If you get to the end of the session and you’re not tired it just means you can go harder next time. If you’re new to running or unfit take your time and ease into it. You don’t want to get an injury or over do it when you are starting out.
Image credit: http://www.livincool.com