Session Style: Low impact Strength circuit
Equipment: Stop watch (i-phone / i-pod)
Time: approx. 40 minutes
Warm up: 5 minutes light walk / cardio machines (rower or bike) and some static stretching of the legs, back, shoulders and arms.
Do glute leg lifts and squats as part of the warm up to wake up the glutes!
- 10 x Right Leg lift – laying on stomach, hands on glutes, lifting one leg at a time using the glute first before the leg muscles.
- 10 x Left Leg lift – laying on stomach, hands on glutes, lifting one leg at a time using the glute first before the leg muscles.
- 10 x Squats – push down through the heels, sit back. Watch your knees are aligned with your toes. Use a wall if you need to.
Session: Do each exercise for 30 seconds. Do as many repetitions as you can (still maintaining your form) then rest for 30 seconds. Do each exercise then rest for 3 to 5 minutes and then repeat for a second round.
|1||High Knees – On Spot||Walking on the spot with high knees (up to hip height).||–|
|2||Walking Lunges||Walking forward (or can be done on the spot) focus on form, dropping the back knee to the floor and pushing through the front heel and back toe.||–|
|3||Push Ups||On knees or standing up against a wall.||–|
|4||Squats||Push down through the heels, knees aligned over the toes. (Can be done next to wall to guide position).||–|
|5||Plank hold on hands||Just hold the position for 30 secs.||–|
|6||Back lift with elbow squeeze||Lay on your front and lift your chest off the ground (using your back) then at the top squeeze your elbows together.||–|
|7||Side plank – right||On your elbows and feet – drive your hips up off the ground. (Can be done with knees on the ground)||–|
|8||Side plank – left||“||–|
|9||Walking lunges – again||Focus on lunging deep as possible. Push through your front heel and back toe.||–|
|10||Sit Ups||Put your hands on your knees and come up until your elbows reach you knees.||–|
|11||High Knees – again||–|
|12||Walking mountain climbers||On hands and feet, in plank position, bring right leg to right hand and then left to left and continue to switch.||–|
|13||Punches upwards||Punch upwards into the sky – as fast as possible.||–|
|14||Squats – again||(Can be done next to wall to guide position).||–|
Glutes and Core: Do this after your second round of the circuit.
|1||Deep Core activation holds x 10||10 secs per hold||Draw in and switch on your deep core muscles – see below for more info|
|2||Pelvic Tilts x 10||slow pace||Slowly tilt your pelvis forwards(lower back will arch) and then backwards (lower back will flatten).|
|3||Front Plank – on elbows||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|5||Front Plank – on hands||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|7||Right Side Plank – on elbow||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|9||Right Side Plank – on elbow||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|11||Right leg lift – laying on front||30 secs||Put your hands on your glutes and make sure they are switching on first not the muscles on the back of the leg.|
|13||Left leg lift – laying on front||30 secs||“|
|15||Walking mountain climbers||30 secs||Slowly and controlled bring your right foot to your right hand and then left foot to left hand and repeat.|
|18||Front plank on elbows – with glute squeeze||30 secs||Squeeze the glute muscles on 50% while in the plank. If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|20||Front plank moving between elbows and hands||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
Activating Pelvic Floor and Deep Abdominals
- Lie on back with knees bent at 90degrees and feet on the floor.
- Check that the pelvis is in a ‘neutral’ position (not too arched or too flat), put your fingers on the insides of your hip bones.
- Slowly draw in the lower abdominals away from the fingers, next to your hip bones.
- You should feel a vague tensioning across the pelvis and lower abdominal area.
- Use your fingers inside the hip bones to check that you are not over activating the obliques (on the sides). Also touch your top abs (5-10cm below your chest) ad check that they are not switched on.
- Your hips and spine shouldn’t move at all during this exercise.
- Hold for 10seconds and relax
(If you still aren’t sure that you are activating the muscle correctly, cough while pressing into the muscle. You will feel a sudden increase in pressure within the lower belly which will be the deep core muscles contracting forcefully. Hold this contraction lightly.)
Warm Down: 5 – 10 minutes full body stretching