Movement Series: Walk the Plank
Session Style: Core strength circuit
Equipment: Stop watch (i-phone / i-pod)
Time: approx. 15 minutes
Warm up: 5 minutes light stretch
|1||Deep Core activation holds x 10||10 secs per hold||Draw in and switch on your deep core muscles – see below for more info|
|2||Pelvic Tilts x 10||slow pace||Slowly tilt your pelvis forwards(lower back will arch) and then backwards (lower back will flatten).|
|3||Front Plank – on elbows||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|5||Front Plank – on hands||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|7||Right Side Plank – on elbow||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|9||Right Side Plank – on elbow||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|11||Right leg lift – laying on front||30 secs||Put your hands on your glutes and make sure they are switching on first not the muscles on the back of the leg.|
|13||Left leg lift – laying on front||30 secs||“|
|15||Walking mountain climbers||30 secs||Slowly and controlled bring your right foot to your right hand and then left foot to left hand and repeat.|
|18||Front plank on elbows – with glute squeeze||30 secs||Squeeze the glute muscles on 50% while in the plank. If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
|20||Front plank moving between elbows and hands||30 secs||If it is too hard on your feet, put your knees on the ground.|
Activating Pelvic Floow and Deep Abdominals
- Lie on back with knees bent at 90degrees and feet on the floor.
- Check that the pelvis is in a ‘neutral’ position (not too arched or too flat), put your fingers on the insides of your hip bones.
- Slowly draw in the lower abdominals away from the fingers, next to your hip bones.
- You should feel a vegue tensioning across the pelvis and lower abdominal area.
- Use your fingers inside the hip bones to check that you are not over activating the obliques (on the sides). Also touch your top abs (5-10cm below your chest) ad check that they are not switched on.
- Your hips and spine shouldn’t move at all during this exercise.
- Hold for 10seconds and relax
(If you still aren’t sure that you are activating the muscle correctly, cough while pressing into the muscle. You will feel a sudden increase in pressure within the lower belly which will be the deep core muscles contracting forcefully. Hold this contraction lightly.)